Have you decided to finally publish that ebook you’ve been working on? That’s great! We can’t wait to see it.
As you’ll see in this guide, publishing an ebook on PublishDrive is simple; you can reach over 400 online stores and thousands of other sales channels worldwide through a single dashboard!
In this article, we’ll go over topics like:
- How to convert an ebook for FREE with PublishDrive’s converter
- How to upload an ebook to PublishDrive
- How to publish an ebook online in worldwide stores
Let’s dive in!
First thing’s first! Before getting started, be sure to sign up for your PublishDrive account to access 400+ online stores and more.
Step One: Convert Your Ebook Manuscript
Before uploading your book, you need to make sure it’s in an acceptable ebook format. EPUB is the standard ebook format accepted by stores (MOBI is the specific format that Amazon uses). To distribute through PublishDrive, you’ll need an EPUB.
Don’t worry: you don’t need fancy software to convert your ebook. As long as you have a Microsoft Word DOCX file, we'll convert it for free. You can either convert your DOCX using PublishDrive’s free online ebook converter here, or during the book upload process within our platform (see next step).
Tip: If you don’t have a table of contents, title page, or copyright page - no problem. Our converter can generate these pages for you based on the information you provide.
Step Two: Upload Your Ebook and Cover
Once you have your shiny new ebook file, you can start the book upload process. In your PublishDrive service dashboard, navigate to PD Distribution, which brings you to the PD Distribution dashboard. To upload your book, you have two options:
1. Click on “Add Book” in the menu
2. Click “Upload” in the area beneath the menu
This takes you to the book upload interface. Drag and drop your ebook content file (either in DOCX or EPUB format) into the available field. Next, drag and drop your book cover file.
Book Cover Requirements:
- Embedded cover: 1600×2400 pixels (recommended). The pixel limit is 4 million pixels.
- Separately uploaded cover: Must be at least 800×1280 pixels, but 1600×2560 pixels is recommended.
For more book cover requirements, please review this Help Center article.
- If your ebook file doesn’t include a cover image, you can upload the cover separately and we’ll create an EPUB with a seamlessly incorporated cover image.
- Remember: If you don’t have a table of contents, title page, or copyright page - no problem. Our converter can generate these pages for you based on the information you provide.
- If you want to see what your ebook will look like on reading devices, download the EPUB that we generate for you. Then download Adobe Digital Editions (it’s free!) and open the EPUB to preview the file.
Step Three: Fill Out Your Metadata
Metadata, aka “data about data,” is all the information that describes your book and makes it discoverable in stores. Some of it is technical, while other types of metadata are used for marketing purposes. But ALL of it will help sell your books, so be sure to spend some extra time during this step.
Metadata includes things like:
- Title, Subtitle, Author: This is pretty self-explanatory, but make sure you enter the correct information and check for typos. Your title, subtitle, and author name should match what’s on your cover.
- Price: Self-published ebooks are usually priced at around $2.99-$5.99, but you get to decide. This article has some tips for pricing your ebook if you want people to buy it.
- Rights: Confirm you own the rights to the book or have secured the rights from the copyright holder.
- Description: What is your book about? Don’t just summarize; make readers want to click “buy,” and let them know exactly what they can expect, i.e., steamy romance, fast-paced thriller, inspirational non-fiction, etc.
- Keywords: This step is super important, and you’ll need to put on your SEO hat (“search engine optimization”). Be sure to choose keywords that accurately describe your book and are search terms that readers actually use. (I.e., “steamy scifi romance,” “military space exploration,” etc.)
Tip: If you’re having trouble picking a category, Savant can help! Savant is PublishDrive’s AI-powered robot who instantly “reads” your ebook when you upload it. Based on your book’s content, Savant recommends the best categories to choose for optimal discoverability.
For more information, review our metadata guidelines here.
Step Four: Set Your Distribution Settings
Almost there! After filling in your metadata, you can set your distribution settings. This allows you to choose which stores you want PublishDrive to send your book to.
To maximize discoverability, it’s best to take full advantage of our distribution network. We can send your book to 400+ online stores, like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple Books, Google Play Books, Kobo, and more. You can also access hard-to-reach sales channels, like Scribd, thousands of libraries, and stores in China.
Tip: You can also create an “imprint” to set distribution settings. An imprint is the name under which your book will be published. But any distribution settings made on the page pictured below will supersede imprint settings.
Step Five: Hit “Publish” and Celebrate!
Time to pop the champagne, because you’re on your way to becoming a published author! 🥂
After you hit “Publish,” our team will quickly get to work so your books will be live as soon as possible. First, we’ll check to make sure your ebook is free of any technical problems. If it’s good to go, we’ll distribute it to stores immediately.
Keep in mind that each store has its own review process as well, so your publishing date may vary. For most major stores, you can expect your book to go live within a few hours to 5 business days after it passes our internal review. This article has more information on publishing times.
FAQs About How to Publish an Ebook on PublishDrive
Do I Need an ISBN for PublishDrive?
Nope! Feel free to use one, but we can assign a unique identifier for your book if you don’t have an ISBN.
How Can I Switch to PublishDrive from Another Platform?
We’re excited you’re joining the PublishDrive community! Making the switch to PublishDrive is easy, and you can keep your reviews and rankings for major stores, like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo. Read our how-to guide here.
Can I Upload a Bunch of Books to PublishDrive at Once?
Yes! We have a bulk upload feature so you can upload many books simultaneously using an automated process. Read our how-to guide here.
Publish Your Ebook Today!
Ready to reach global sales channels? Take the first step by signing up for a PublishDrive account. In addition to distribution, you’ll also have access to ebook promo tools, royalty splitting services for collaborative projects, and more.
If you’re new to self-publishing, choose our Tryout plan to start distributing for FREE!